Monday, March 19, 2018

And this is why I teach

We have less than 2 weeks until our school year ends.  My little four-year-olds are getting ready to move up a level and we've been talking about all the new responsibilities they will be undertaking.  We've reminisced about how far they have come this year.  This is my first year at the school and for some, their first year of schooling.  These kids have kept me on my toes as we learned to find a common language to understand each other as well as just being their little three-year-old selves.  ::grin::  There have been tears and laughter a plenty and I don't think I'd trade more of one for less of the other as it's all a part of growing up and coming together.  Words can't describe how bittersweet it is to see this school year end.  I am so incredibly proud of how our class has grown both on an individual level and as a whole.  They are curious, animated, boundary-pushing, sweet-hearted students who challenge me to learn something new everyday.  I'm so excited to see them getting ready to step up while at the same time I just want to keep them in my class just as they are.

We asked them today who they would like to have as their teacher next year.  Teachers can change grades from year to year and students don't know until just before the new school year.  I named different teachers in the school, but this is what I heard from one student. 

      "Teacher Kira, I want Teacher Kira for (their grade level) next year."  

That short sentence said it all.  The positive impact I hoped to have on these children.  To share my love of learning and exploring.  To teach them the independence in making their own choices and accepting the consequences.  To support them as they learned to stand on their own.  In that moment, I felt like we'd reached these goals together.

And this is why I teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment