Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Month 1

It's hard to believe my first month in Thailand and abroad is coming to a close.  Yes, I did say first month.  I'm heading to Penang, Malaysia tomorrow to get a proper tourist visa and will be back in Thailand for the near future.  Where am I exactly?  I'm currently on Koh Phangan, an island on the southeastern part of Thailand.  I've been here for the past 2 and a half weeks and am looking to stay for at least the next 6 months.  I managed to find some great work exchange with a health and wellness school called Samma Karuna and will be helping with their publicity and PR.

www.maps-thailand.com

As I look over this last month, I want to share with you all some things I've learned.  Some of them are little gems shared with me and others I've learned for myself.
  • Internet is incredibly easy to access just about anywhere you want it.  Quality of connection is another matter.
  • If you don't know what to order, pad thai is always a safe bet.
  • If you're wearing giant army boots, it's a given that you're a tourist.
  • Be sure you have a 3-prong adapter with you, especially when you discover your computer happens to need one.
  • Deer can open up tent doors.  And if you try and lock it, they will just tear a hole in your tent.
  • There are dirty old men no matter what country you're in.
  • If you order buckets (picture beer in a pitcher but rather cocktails in a small kid's sand bucket), be prepared for an epic night.
  • I CAN survive on a scooter going up and down steep hills.  I can even give a friend a ride!
  • I have the capacity to love and be loved.
  • The gecko/lizards make cool clicking noises that also sync with their tail movements.
  • Jellyfish stings only hurt for a couple of hours.  About 10 days later they also itch like mad!
  • If you put your needs out into the universe, it will meet those needs.  It just may take some time and down a different path than you expected.  (I know I learned this at Burning Man, but it's nice to know it also happens off the Playa).
  • Buddhist chanting is beautiful....but not at 3 am.
  • If you want to travel somewhere quickly, take the bus.  If you want to travel somewhere and meet a lot of cool people, take the train.
  • There are two kinds of Thai food: "It's good for you to eat" or "You don't eat that".
  • You may be the tourist, but locals like to take pictures of the oddities i.e. YOU, just as much as you do.
  • If you love someone enough, their happiness becomes so important to you that you're willing to let them go in order to ensure their happiness.
  • Don't be afraid to climb the boulders; you never know what you'll discover on the other side.
  • Sometimes finding the perfect spot to watch the sunset is the biggest challenge you'll face for the day.
  • Don't bother wearing a watch on an island.
  • 7/11's in Thailand are like Starbucks in the US.  They also sometimes give you your change back in stamps.
  • The Irish can say any curse word and make it sound cool.
  • If you drink it, it comes with a straw (or a glass...or both).
  • Sometimes you just need to go for a walk.
But most important of all.
Don't forget to just be in the moment.  Take it one day, one minute, one second at a time.  Plans change but new doors always open.  It's up to you to walk through them.

Photo property of Kira Zebroski
My awesome wander-nut from Burning Man.  It's been through a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment